|Peak District||Chee Dale||Clwyd Limestone||S.Wales Sandstone||S.Wales Limestone||The Gower||Ban-Y-Gor|
The Third Lift
|Although not noted for its high concentration of difficult climbs, the Third Lift has, over the years, slowly acquired a number of sports routes which make it just worth a visit. Although generally short (12m) it offers a few good routes in a fine open position with no seepage problems. Approaches may seem awkward but by skirting around the ridge from the upper Topley Pike car park on the A6, the cliff can be gained in 5 or so minutes. Alternatively, walk rightwards from below Moving Buttress until the cliff is reached.|
|Peak Area Index|
1. Fingerpops (7b+) two desperate moves on nondescript pockets
2. Crank it Up (6c+) centre of wall gives good moves and a sharp intake of breath
3. An Uplifting Experience (7a) wall to right using no flake on right. Tough. 6b+ utilising the flake on the right.
4. Access All Areas (7a+) * sustained and fingery climbing on left edge of wall.
5. Elephant Talk (7a+) * centre of wall direct. Fingery and smeary.
6. Hamish (7a) technical and even more fingery.
7. Five Miles High (6c+) * hanging groove with hard entry.
8. All Fall Down (7a+) sustained and friable front face. A spooky experience.
9. High Scream Sunday (6c+) ** very photogenic and worthwhile right-hand arete.
10. The Siberian Hamster (7a) * technical and sustained arete with no belay as yet.
11. Puffalot (6b) * lovely clean face with excellent moves.
12. All Made Up (7a+) technical arete on its right-hand side. Artificial but worthwhile.
13. Powder Puff (6b) warm up line on side wall.
14. Uninspired E3 6a * front face of pinnacle gives good traditional climbing.
15. Pinnaclised (6c) right arete after start of Uninpsired.
Right again the front face of the obvious pinnacle is Pinnacle Trick (6b)
Further to the right, past the gully containing the fine Ragged Edge is a fine wall with two sport routes:
Unstate (6b) hard start then easier wall climbing
Some State (6c) another hard start finishing via a flake crack.